Saturday, June 8, 2013

On twenty-one.

Friends, I am now, almost unbelievably turning twenty one years old. Like every other birthday, I can't say that I feel all that different. Everyone says,"Ooh, 21! That's a big birthday!"But for me, being twenty-one goes beyond the ability to legally drink in public.Yes, being twenty-one comes with it's own responsibilities and privileges, but my twentieth year so far holds the most rights of passage and memorable events.

While I was twenty, I:
Held three different part time jobs.
Made the Deans list, twice.
Traveled to Israel.
Traveled to Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, and Germany.
Went to Passion.
Had my writing published on a website for the fist time.
Fell in love.
Saw my mother marry the most gentle and kind man I know.
Wrote and finished two songs.
Sang a Taylor Swift song in a Cafe in Greece.
Shared my testimony (without crying!) to a youth group in Romania.
Led worship with my best friend for the Women's Ministry.
Grew so much closer to my family.
Felt my first true heartbreak.
Received a clear vision for my life calling.
Developed deeper best-friendships.

Most of all, I am coming out of my twentieth year knowing more of who God is. I learned what it means to lose everything I ever wanted in the matter of a day. To lose the person I was so, absolutely sure would be my forever and still end my night saying "Your plans are for me, God." To let go of my own weak dreams for my life and let God dream for me, even when it is so painful.  I learned what it means to truly trust in Christ, when everything within me fights it.

Twenty was one of those years. One of those "So this is what Jesus was talking about when He said..." years. It's one of those years that I will look back on and say, "Thank you God, for teaching me to love and trust You deeply."  The lessons I've learned this year will be so valuable to me in my future, the memories I've formed will be treasures, and the friendships I've developed will be wholly cherished.

So, thank You, God. For everything that happened this year. For loss, for grief, for vision and for truth. Thank you for experience. I promise, I will put it to good use.

You've got a lot to live up to, twenty-one.

-Sammie Marie





2 comments:

  1. Sammie, You had such a beautiful, vibrant year last year, and I'm glad I got to be a little part of it

    I love how quickly you find truth amidst your trials. You know that even in the madness and nonsense that is thrown at you in life, God has His grip on You. He has some seriously epic plans for you, Sammie-Sam, and I'm pumped to see where He takes you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently twenty years old right now, so this is especially poignant. I remember turning 20 and thinking, "What good happens from being 20?" Like you, I got to travel and get closer with my family and learn guitar with my Dad... so many wonderful things happened, and so many not so wonderful things happened, but I am so happy to be alive and curious and free. With God as my strength, I will continue to live each day He has set out for me. Thank you for this wonderful post and for helping me to realize this. I think if we met in real life we'd be friends! :)

    ReplyDelete