Tuesday, May 27, 2014

"And I Want to Love You Forever"

It's been entirely too long since I've last blogged. I could certainly blame it on the busy-ness that comes with my senior year of college, and, well.....ENGAGEMENT.




Yes, it's been a life-changing month...an unforgettable, dreamlike, breathtaking, sensational, unrivaled month. I have the deepest joy I have ever experienced. Not because I'm living in the moments I used to spend time day dreaming about, or because I get to plan a wedding and finally put some of those pins to good use. Yes, those fun and exciting things make me happy. But they are not what brings me such soul-permeating joy.

I feel the kind of joy that inevitably comes with love. True love that touches the heart and infuses itself into my entire being, and I cannot control it, and I don't want to, as it's tenderness fills me from the inside-out until I'm overflowing with bigger smiles and longer laughs and girly sighs. As it fills me with sweet hope and security that frees me from my fears, I feel that love truly can conquer all. As he keeps drawing me in and I wonder how I could ever love him more than I do this very moment, I find myself realizing that this love is only in it's beginning stages...that I have a lifetime of falling for him to look forward to. The thought alone is enough to move me to humble thanks to the God who gave the purest example of love, the example that my Fiancé has followed and modeled to me in a way that gives me complete confidence in a life-long love with him.

He asked me be his wife on the crest of a little bridge nestled away in the historic, charming colonial area. The sun was setting behind us and he held me close as he recalled our sweetest memories. I nestled my face into his shoulder and listened to his poetic retelling of our love so far-- how far we've come, and all we still have ahead of us in this life. Oblivious and carried away in the sweetness of it all- I hardly grasped the difference in his tone and meaning when he whispered, "...and I want to love you forever." Then, he turned and got down on his knee, and with the sweetest smile he asked, "So, will you marry me?" Surprise and excitement washed over me and I responded with a question..."Wait...right now?! You're asking right now?!" And still down on his knee, he said through gentle laughter, "Yes, right now!" And then my answer came... "Yes! Yes!" Of course. We laugh now that when he asked me to marry him, he said "yes" before I did.

We stood there for a while, soaking in the moment we just shared and all it entailed. The sun had set and only a faint purple glow was left hanging in the sky. He sang softly to me the lyrics of a favorite song of mine. We walked back to the car holding hands and constantly looking at the gorgeous ring he blessed me with, stopping under lights to get a better look at it together. And after a beautiful engagement party with incredible family and friends, at the end of the night we said goodnight and got to add "future husband/wife" to our vocabulary.

And in that moment we were the most happy we thought possible, until the next day when we figured out that our joy grows as time passes and we draw closer to the day we make the covenant to love each other intentionally and unconditionally forever.


-Sammie Marie



No comments:

Post a Comment