Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Autumn Obsession

This time of year it is hard to go one day without seeing an Instagram photo of someones Starbucks coffee with redish-orange leaves conveniently placed in the background, or reading a Facebook post from an excited young girl about the current season... "OMGSH, scarves, boots, leaves, pumpkin spice lattes, sweaters!!! I love fall!!"

and, not gonna lie, I'm a big culprit of this....

Exhibit A:

What can I say? There's just something about this time of year that gets people in a frenzy. I like to call it the "Autumn obsession."

I think it's more than leg warmers and warm caffeinated beverages, though. I think it's more than the hay rides and pumpkin patches.

While I certainly adore all of those things...I find that the hidden love I have for Autumn is for the comfort it brings to my soul. The obsession is not with the things we see in Fall, but the feelings Fall gives us.

So, it's not the turkey and pumpkin pie that people love, it's looking around the table and seeing the smiles and hearing the laughs of dear family and friends.

It's not really the lattes people crave, it's the meaningful conversation and secrets shared with others in the local Starbucks or coffee shop.

And it's not the scarves or sweaters or fuzzy blankets by the fire, but the safety and security felt as you bundle yourself up and look into the eyes of your loved ones; and for a moment you feel content, even when no words are being said.

Autumn is truly about soul-tending. Going down to the depths and processing what we've been through earlier this year. Discovering new passions and revisiting old ones. Getting to know ourselves again.
Autumn is also hospitality in it's truest form. It's so welcoming and friendly. It invites us to come in, sit down, and relax for a while.

For me, Autumn represents even more. Autumn reveals God's character to me. When I look around and see the leaves bursting with color and feel the crisp air pinching my cheeks, I feel as though God was saving His best for last. That Autumn is His big finale for us to enjoy. I picture Him looking down on us and saying "Wait until they see what I do now!" The rich colors, the savory aromas, and the cool wind are God's way of capturing our hearts with the Joy that is soon coming.


“Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.” 
 
George Eliot

So, dear friends, here are some photos to stir your Autumn-loving soul even more. Let your heart find Jesus in these photos. (Courtesy of Pinterest) ;)

-Sammie Marie





















2 comments:

  1. Oh Sammie, I opened up this blog for the reasons that you stated above - I am obsessed of all things fall! But I agree - it is the feelings that I love. There is such a crisp 'newness' in the air in fall isn't there. Love you dear. You're a really good writer - I don't give that comment often. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sammie, just stumbled upon this post and fell. in. absolute. love.

    You PERFECTLY depicted what fall means to me...and so many others! You have a gift!

    ReplyDelete